Official information for UK nationals living in and moving to Cyprus, including guidance on residency, healthcare and driving.


You should follow the advice of the Cyprus Government and your local authority. You can also read our Cyprus travel advice for our latest guidance.

For information on getting a COVID-19 vaccine as a UK national in Cyprus see our coronavirus travel advice.

Stay up to date

You should:

You can also:

The Withdrawal Agreement

If you were legally resident in Cyprus before 1 January 2021, your rights will be protected by the Withdrawal Agreement.

You should check that you are correctly registered and should get a new residence document to evidence your rights.

You should also read our guidance on living in Europe.

Visas and residency

You must register as a Cypriot resident if you plan to stay in Cyprus for more than 3 months.

You can apply for temporary residency status from the Ministry of the Interior, Civil Registry and Migration Department.

After living in Cyprus for more than 5 years, can apply for permanent residency status.

Read the Cypriot government guidance residency in Cyprus.

If there are changes to residency registration processes, we will update this guidance as soon as information is available. You should sign up for email alerts .

Additional support

If you need additional support to complete your residency application, read the guidance on the UK Nationals Support Fund.

Moving to Cyprus

Check the entry requirements for Cyprus and the Cypriot government guidance on visas.

Passports and travel

You should carry your residence document, as well as your valid passport when you travel. If you have applied but not yet received your document, carry your certificate of application.

If you have not yet applied for a residence document, you should carry evidence that you are resident in Cyprus. This could include a tenancy agreement or a utility bill in your name, dating from 2020.

If you cannot show that you are resident in Cyprus, you may be asked additional questions at the border to enter the Schengen area, and your passport may be stamped on entry and exit. This will not affect your rights in Cyprus.


Check your passport is valid for travel before you book your trip. You can apply for or renew your British passport from Cyprus.

You must have at least 6 months left on an adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland). This requirement does not apply if you are in scope of the Withdrawal Agreement.

If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months needed.

Renew your passport before booking your travel. if you do not have enough time left on your passport.

As a non-EEA national, different border checks will apply when travelling to other EU or Schengen area countries. You may have to use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing. You may also need to show a return or onward ticket.

If you’re travelling to the north of Cyprus, their administration advises that your passport should be valid for at least 6 months from your date of entry to the north.

Entry requirements

You can travel to other Schengen area countries for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa for purposes such as tourism.

To stay longer than 90 days in any 180-day period, to work or study, or for business travel, you must meet the entry requirements set out by the country you are travelling to. This could mean applying for a visa or work permit.

Periods of time authorised by a visa or permit will not count towards your 90-day visa-free limit.

Different rules will apply to EU countries that are not part of the Schengen area. Check each country’s travel advice page for information on entry requirements.

Travel to the UK and Ireland has not changed.


You must be properly registered for healthcare as a resident in Cyprus, as well as registering, where necessary, with a health insurer.

Once you are registered as resident, you may be entitled to state healthcare. You should check with the Ministry of Health or at your local citizen service centre to see if you are covered.

You can find information about the new Cypriot state healthcare system GESY on their website. We strongly advise you to take out private medical insurance if you are not eligible for state healthcare.

Read our guidance on who can access healthcare in Cyprus and make sure you are correctly registered for your circumstances.

State healthcare: S1

You may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK if you live in Cyprus and you:

  • are receiving a UK State Pension
  • are receiving some other ‘exportable benefits’
  • are a frontier worker who lives in Cyprus and commutes to work in the UK
  • have been sent to Cyprus temporarily by your UK employer

Read our guidance on using an S1 form in Cyprus to ensure you are correctly registered for healthcare.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)

If you are resident in Cyprus, you must not use your UK-issued EHIC or GHIC for healthcare in Cyprus, unless you are a student or a detached (posted) worker. Current EHICs will remain valid until the expiry date on the card.

If you are living in Cyprus, you may be eligible for a new UK-issued EHIC or GHIC if you’re:

  • a UK student in Cyprus
  • a UK State Pensioner with a registered S1
  • a frontier worker with a registered S1

The card you receive will depend on when you moved to Cyprus.

Apply now for a new UK EHIC or GHIC

An EHIC or GHIC is not a replacement for comprehensive travel insurance. The EHIC and GHIC are not valid in north Cyprus.

For more information read our guidance on healthcare when travelling in Europe and advice on foreign travel insurance.

You should also read guidance on:

Working in Cyprus

If you were legally resident in Cyprus before 1 January 2021, you have the right to work, as long as you remain legally resident.

If you are planning to come to Cyprus to work, you may need a visa. Read the Cypriot government’s guidance on how to get a visa.

To apply for a job you may need to provide a UK police certificate.

Read the Department for International Trade’s guidance on working or providing services in Cyprus and sign up for their updates.

Frontier workers

If you live in Cyprus and were regularly commuting to work in another EU or EFTA country, before 1 January 2021 you may need a permit to show that you are a frontier worker.

Education and professional qualifications

You will be eligible for broadly the same support as Cypriot nationals, as long as you were legally resident in Cyprus before 1 January 2021. Check that you are correctly registered for residency. Read our guidance on:

Moving to Cyprus to study

If you are planning to study in Cyprus, make sure you meet all visa requirements before you travel.
Contact the relevant higher education provider to check what fees you may have to pay.

Read our guidance on studying in the European Union.

Professional qualifications

You may need to get your professional qualification recognised if you want to work in a profession that is regulated in Cyprus. When doing this, you will be subject to the third country regulations.

Read the Department for International Trade’s guidance on how to get your qualification recognised in Cyprus and sign up for their updates.

If your qualification was officially recognised by the relevant regulator in Cyprus before 1 January 2021, make sure you understand the terms of your recognition decision by checking with that regulator.

Money and tax

The UK has a double taxation agreement with Cyprus to ensure you do not pay tax on the same income in both countries. Ask the relevant tax authority your questions about double taxation relief.

Existing double taxation arrangements for UK nationals living in Cyprus have not changed.

You should read the guidance on:

You should get professional advice on paying tax in Cyprus. Find an English-speaking lawyer in Cyprus.

National Insurance

Find out if you need to pay National Insurance in the UK or social security contributions in Cyprus.


Whether UK banks can provide services to customers living in the EEA is a matter of local law and regulation. Your bank or finance provider should contact you if they need to make any changes to your product or the way they provide it. If you have any concerns about whether you might be affected, contact your provider or seek independent financial advice.

Read the Money and Pension Service guidance on banking, insurance and financial services changes for more information on cross-border banking.


Read our guidance on entitlement to UK benefits and pensions while you are living in Cyprus.

You will need to tell the UK government offices that deal with your benefits, pension and tax if you are moving or retiring abroad.

If you retire in Cyprus, you can claim:

Read the Money and Pension Service guidance on pension and retirement changes for more information on cross-border pensions.

Life certificates for UK State Pensions

If you get a ‘life certificate’ from the UK Pension Service, you must fill it in promptly, otherwise your payments may be suspended.


Read our guidance on entitlement to UK benefits and pensions while you are living in Cyprus.

You will need to tell the UK government offices that deal with your benefits, pension and tax if you are moving or retiring abroad.

Check which UK benefits you can claim while abroad and how to claim them.

If you’re abroad for more than 4 weeks, many income-related benefits such as pension credit and housing benefit cannot be paid to you.

You can request proof of the time you’ve worked in the UK from HMRC if you are asked for this.

Cypriot benefits

You may be able to claim some Cyprus social security benefits. When you are checking whether you are eligible for benefits in Cyprus you should make sure you declare any National Insurance contributions you made in the UK.

Driving in Cyprus

If you are resident in Cyprus, you should exchange your UK licence for a Cypriot one.

For information on driving in Cyprus, read the guidance on:

Driving in the UK with a Cypriot licence

You can use your Cypriot licence in the UK for short visits, or exchange it for a UK licence without taking a test. We will update these pages if there are any changes to the rules, as soon as information is available.

Bringing a UK-registered vehicle to Cyprus

You cannot import vehicles through the northern part of Cyprus. The authorities may seize your vehicle.

Read our guidance on taking a vehicle out of the UK and the Cypriot government webpage on importing a vehicle into Cyprus.

You should read the European Union’s guidance on car registration and taxes in Cyprus.

You may be exempt from some of these taxes. If so you will need certificates of exemption.


You cannot vote in elections in Cyprus or European Parliament elections.

You may be able to vote in some UK elections. You can:

Births, deaths and getting married

If your child is born in Cyprus, you will need to register a birth abroad.

If someone dies in Cyprus, you can:

Find out how you can get married abroad.

Find out about notarial and documentary services for UK nationals in Cyprus.

You may also need:


If you have a pet passport issued by Cyprus or another EU member state, you can use it to travel with your pet to Great Britain and elsewhere in the EU.

A GB-issued EU pet passport is not valid for travel to the EU or Northern Ireland. You should speak to your vet before you travel to get the necessary pet travel documents and ensure you’re compliant with the EU Pet Travel Regulations.

Read guidance on:

Check the rules of the country you’re travelling to for any additional restrictions or requirements before you travel.


You can dial the European emergency number on 112, or Cyprus also has 199.

If you’re the victim of crime, have been arrested, or are affected by a crisis abroad, contact the British High Commission Nicosia.

Accommodation and buying property

Read guidance on buying a property abroad.

Returning to the UK

Tell the UK and Cypriot authorities if you are returning to the UK permanently.

To move your pension to the UK, contact the International Pension Centre.

If you get healthcare in Cyprus through the S1 certificate, you must contact the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 (0)191 218 1999 to make sure your S1 is cancelled at the right time.

Read the guidance on returning to the UK permanently which includes information on, amongst other things, access to services and bringing family members.


Please note that this information is provided as a guide only. Definitive information should be obtained from the Cypriot authorities. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information.